Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Prepared for this time

My time here in Panama has had it's challenges.  Being away from Gavin has been the hardest part by far.  I am learning a lot about perspective and trusting God.  I have been encouraged by the truth that God has prepared me for this very day here in Panama.  He has filled my life with peaks and trials up until this point.  He has shaped and molded me for the difficult things I am facing, as well as the joys I am experiencing.  2 Corinthians 5:5 has been a verse I have had to put in my mind daily.  "Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge."  God, the one who loves me more than any other and who gives me my very life, has prepared me for this.
I also find myself partially at fault for the struggles I've been having... I prayed that God would teach me and grow me a lot while I was down here.  =)  I know that He is answering this prayer because I know that through struggles and fighting in my soul comes relief and peace in God.  It is Him that I am working on clinging to, and He is the one that is daily filling me with peace and strength even when I do not feel I have it.
I am very thankful for this opportunity and I'm thankful that God loves me enough to teach me.  I am learning both about my God and how to teach while I am here.  I have had sweet experiences with the students and this past weekend was able to spend some time with Bethany seeing around Panama.

Sweet Students
As roudy as my class is during this placement, they are just the sweetest kids one-on-one!  These are some cute conversations I had with some of them my first week here in Panama:

- I talked with one little girl on the first day, asking her what some of her favorite places are to see in Panama.  I was expecting some kind of neat Panamanian place, but instead the girl told me all about her favorite malls.  She was very concerned with my safety though and made sure to tell me with wide eyes, "Don't be lost though!"

- One little boy on the first day of school came up to me in the classroom and whispered to me, "They call me the origami master!"  He then proceeded to hand me a paper swan and heart.

- In the first family I stayed with they had triplet girls.  One night I was home with one of the girls and we were talking about how I was going to get married.  She asked me what my name was going to change to.  I told her, "Gromacki".  She responded, "Sandy Gromacki... yes that sounds good.   Not like Sandy Bilbau or something..."  Where that came from I don't know but I thought it was so funny!

- A little boy was answering a question about what we were talking about in Bible class.  We had been talking about the resurrection.  This little boy preferred to call it, "When Jesus got revived."

Ah, the sweet hearts of children. 


2 comments:

  1. I love reading this. Love to great how you're growing.keep posting because I can't wait to read more

    ReplyDelete
  2. The origami boy is SO precious!! I needed him when I was teaching a unit on Japan during my first placement. (I was awful at origami.) Sandy, I'm so glad you're here, and I'm excited for three more weeks of getting to know each other better. :)

    ReplyDelete